This chair was designed by Le Corbusier (LC) in 1928, and is also commonly referred to as the Basculant Chair because the back section of the chair swivels to provide added comfort. The solid one-piece frame is made of tubular steel with polished chrome plating, and the leather is thick saddle leather with a smooth finish. This is a low-sitting chair with a compact foot print.
Material & Feature:
Frame structure: highly polished #304 grade tubular stainless steel frame with chrome finish; silver welded joints
Heavy duty stainless steel screws and springs for back & seat
Premium Top Grain / Aniline, cowhide leather upholstery (C.O.M available)
All materials are fire-retardant & non-toxic (Baby friendly)
- Width: 23" x Depth: 27" x Height: 25"
- Seat Height:15"
* All measurements are approximations.
He was born as Charles-Edouard Jeanneret-Gris (1887-1914) in La Chaux-de-Fonds, a small city in Neuchatel canton in north-western Switzerland, in the Jura mountains, just 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) across the border from France.
Le Corbusier began experimenting with furniture design in 1928 after inviting the architect, Charlotte Perriand, to join his studio. His cousin, Pierre Jeanneret, also collaborated on many of the designs. Before the arrival of Perriand, Le Corbusier relied on ready-made furniture to furnish his projects, such as the simple pieces manufactured by Thonet, the company that manufactured his designs in the 1930s.
In 1928, Le Corbusier and Perriand began to put the expectations for furniture Le Corbusier outlined in his 1925 book into practice. In the book he defined three different furniture types: type-needs, type-furniture, and human-limb objects. He defined human-limb objects as: "Extensions of our limbs and adapted to human functions that are type-needs and type-functions, therefore type-objects and type-furniture. The human-limb object is a docile servant. A good servant is discreet and self-effacing in order to leave his master free. Certainly, works of art are tools, beautiful tools. And long live the good taste manifested by choice, subtlety, proportion, and harmony."
The first results of the collaboration were three chrome-plated tubular steel chairs designed for two of his projects, The Maison la Roche in Paris and a pavilion for Barbara and Henry Church. The line of furniture was expanded for Le Corbusier's 1929 Salon installation, "Equipment for the Home".